Skip Main Navigation

Pass/No Pass Grade Option

COVID-19 Adjustments to Pass/No Pass Grade Policy (rev. 01/12/22):

  • No Pass (NP) Grade Will Not Be Counted in Progress Probation/Disqualification Determination through Fall 2022 (rev. 01/12/22)
    • The "No Pass" (NP) grade will be excluded from progress probation and progress disqualification calculation. This provision (per CCCCO Executive Order 2022-02) applies to winter 2022, spring 2022, summer 2022, and fall 2022.

Pass/No Pass Grading Policy

No later than the first 30 percent of the semester, students may elect whether the basis of evaluation is to be pass/no pass or a letter grade. Pass/no pass courses are so designated in the Announcement of Courses section of the catalog.

A student may elect the pass/no pass option during online registration or by completing a pass/no pass option form and submitting it to the Admissions and Records office in Santa Maria or the administrative office of the Lompoc Valley, by the deadline listed in the academic calendar, which is published in in the schedule of classes. A student who has declared this option may not later rescind that choice at a later date.

It is the student’s responsibility to check the college catalog or with a counselor to verify that the course is offered with the pass/no pass option. The grades assigned to students electing the option will be P (pass) for those who have attained course objectives to the satisfaction of the instructor, NP (no pass) for those who have not attained the course objectives, or I (incomplete). The mechanics of pass/no pass grading are as follows:

  1. Students who perform at a level equivalent to A, B, or C will receive the grade of P.  Students will be awarded units for the course but their grade point averages will not be affected.

  2. Students who perform at a level equivalent to D or F will receive NP as a grade.  No units will be granted and no grade points will be awarded.
  3. For classes starting after the beginning of the semester or term, the option must be declared at the time of enrollment.

Limitations on Pass/No Pass Grades

Students transferring to four-year schools should not elect more than one class per semester for pass/no pass. No more than 16 units of P graded courses may be applied toward an AA/AS degree.

How to select the Pass/No Pass option

Please complete the pass/no pass form (must be logged into myHancock).

For questions, please contact

Go to the online Class Search to see the courses pass/no pass deadlines and options.

Determining grade Pass/No Pass Option.