Find Articles & More
*For off-campus access to these valuable resources, use your myHancock login/password.
Language and Culture
General Article Resources
1. Start your Research Here!
- Credo Reference
- Gale eBooks
- Salem Reference Books
- Encyclopedia Britannica Online
- Funk & Wagnall’s New World Encyclopedia
- MasterFILE Complete
- Films On Demand – Thousands of films. Search by film title, subject, or segment.
- Academic Video Online – This database includes scholarly video material of virtually every video type.
- Mango Languages – Online language learning system teaching practical conversation skills in over 70 languages.
- Academic Search Complete – Published articles, many peer-reviewed.
- JSTOR – Select scholarly journals covering literature, humanities, science, and the arts.
- SIRS – Magazine, newspaper, and government documents on controversial social issues.
MAS Ultra - School Edition – Articles on popular subjects in popular magazines.
- CQ Researcher – Reports on controversial issues in the news.
- Opposing Viewpoints in Context - Explore different sides of today's pressing social issues through this research database.
- U.S. Major Dailies + Historical Newspapers: Read full-text newspaper articles from major publications (The New York Times, The Wall Street Journal, The Washington Post, The Los Angeles Times, and The Chicago Tribune) from 1881 to the present.
- Newspaper Source Plus – Newspaper articles and television and radio transcripts.
2. Search By Subject
- Business Source Elite with Regional Business News – Full-text articles from over 1,000 business publications.
- Nexis Uni – Articles on legal news, information on legislation and Supreme Court rulings, news, business and company information, and much more.
- Contemporary Authors – Biographical details on modern novelists, poets, playwrights, nonfiction writers.
- Dictionary of Literary Biographies – Biographical and critical essays on the lives, works and careers of the world's most influential literary figures from all eras and genres.
- Literary Reference Center Plus – Literary analysis, reviews and information on authors and works.
- Poetry Criticism (Literature Criticism Online) – Literary analysis, criticism, and biographical information on poets and poems of all eras.
Gale Literary Index – Locate authors and titles covered in various literature series from Gale. Ask a librarian for help to locate the corresponding print or online volume.
- ERIC – An indispensable tool for education research.
- Primary Search – Full-text articles for elementary school research.
- International Bibliography of Theatre and Dance – The definitive research tool for the study of theatre and the performing arts.
- Oxford Art Online
- Oxford Music Online
- Health Source - Consumer Edition – a full-text database of consumer health magazines and reference books.
- Health Source: Nursing/Academic Edition – a full-text database covering nursing and allied health topics.
- Medline – a bibliographic database containing citations and abstracts for biomedical and health journals.
Orthopaedics & Sports Medicine (SAGE) – scholarly, peer-reviewed articles from SAGE Journals relating to common ailments and conditions affecting kinetics and bodies in motion.
- AccessScience – Science source for topics from agriculture to zoology.
- GreenFILE – Covers all aspects of the human impact on the environment.
- arXiv – An e-print service in the fields of physics, mathematics, computer science, quantitative biology, quantitative finance, statistics, electrical engineering and systems science, and economics.
- CQ Researcher – Reports of controversial issues in the news.
- Country Watch – Up-to-date information and news on the countries of the world.
- America: History and Life – Covers the history and culture of the US and Canada, from prehistory to the present.
- European Views of the Americas: 1493 to 1750
- History Reference Center – A full-text database featuring historical reference books, magazines, journals and thousands of primary source documents.
- Los Angeles Times – 1985 to Current.
- Los Angeles Times Historical – 1881 to 1988. Full-text newspaper articles.
- Military & Government Collection – Current news from all branches of the military and government.
- PsycARTICLES – Full text peer-reviewed psychology articles published by APA and affiliated journals.
- Psychology and Behavioral Sciences Collection – Provides journals in child and adolescent psychology and various areas of counseling.
- Ferguson's Career Guidance Center – Career descriptions, job duties, salary range, employment prospects, education and training requirements, tips for getting the job, and more.
- Bureau of Labor Statistics Occupational Outlook Handbook – Government statistics on a variety of different careers and occupations.
- Automate – Provides accurate, authoritative and up-to-date service and repair information for thousands of domestic and imported vehicles.
- Bibliography of the History of Art – A comprehensive list of citations of articles related to the arts.
- BioMedCentral – A database of peer-reviewed articles covering biology and medical topics.
- bioRxiv – An open access pre-print articles database focused on bio and life sciences
- California Digital Newspaper Collection – Historic newspaper articles from the 19th to mid 20th century (user account required).
- Calisphere – California Digital collections through UC campuses and community partners.
- Digital Public Library of America – Collection of various documents made available online.
- HathiTrust Digital Library – A bevy of public domain docs via academic and research institutions partnerships.
- Homeland Security Digital Library – Articles related to national issues of governance and law enforcement.
- Nasa Technical Reports Server – A variety of technical reports from NASA.
- Online Archive of California – Materials of historic interest from a variety of CA institutions.
- Royal Society Digital Journal Archive – Free access to historical scientific documents from the Royal Society academy, from 1665 to present (note: some articles may not be open access).
- ChemRxiv – An open access pre-print service for chemistry articles.
- Chem Spider – Free chemical structure database owned by the Royal Society of Chemistry.
- USA Trade Online – Free source from the US Census Bureau that gives data on US exports and imports (user account required).
- USGS National Geologic Map Database – Modern and historic topographical maps & tools.
- WorldImages Kiosk – Historic collection of images through the CSU's IMAGE project.