Steps to Transfer to a University
You have applied to a university, now what?
Next Steps Checklist.
- Submit official transcripts via your myHancock portal student tab (if asked by the university)
- Complete any Transfer Supplemental Applications (deadlines vary from campus to campus)
- If you applied to a UC campus, complete the UC update by January 31.
- If you applied to any CSU campus, complete the Cal State Apply update (deadlines vary) and any supplemental application updates.
- File FREE Online Application fo Federal Financial Aid (FAFSA) at studentaid.gov/h/apply-for-aid/fafsa or the California Dream Act at https://dream.csac.ca.gov/landing
- Complete the Allan Hancock College Foundation Scholarship online application.
- If you attended a Santa Barbara County high school, complete the online Santa Barbara Foundation Scholarship application by January 15.
- Click on this link for more scholarship opportunities https://www.petersons.com/scholarship-search.aspx
Meet with an AHC counselor to apply for any degrees earned.
- Meet with an AHC counselor to file an IGETC or CSU General Education Certification.
- Research and apply for scholarships (each university may have separate scholarship applications on their financial aid webpage).
- Admissions decisions typically start to roll out in February (some may be earlier and some may come March-May).
- Begin to explore housing options. Housing information is usually included in your offer for admissions and/or along with Student Intent to Enroll (SIR).
March - April:
- To earn a transfer recognition award complete the form and let the AHC University Transfer Center know where you will be attending in the fall.
- If you applied for FAFSA, you will receive a financial aid packet (aka financial award letter) via email from most universities. The financial aid packet will provide detailed description of how much money you will receive at the university. This award is most often posted to your university portal.
- Attend a "University Application Updates" workshop offered in the spring by the AHC University Transfer Center.
- If possible, visit prospective campuses during open house events.
- Submit Student Intent to Register (SIR) to UC and CSU schools. See your university portal for exact deadlines.
- Attend the Transfer Stars Reception hosted by the AHC University Transfer Center
- Attend your Allan Hancock College Commencement if you applied for an associate degree.
- Check your email on a regular basis for important updates, requirements, and documents you need to send to each university.
- Check your university portal regularly! Missing important deadlines often means a withdrawal of your application.
- If you have questions, don't hesitate to ask a counselor for help!
Other Important Steps:
- Submit an on-campus housing application. If you are applying for on-campus housing, you can submit an application once you get your student ID number. Most campuses have a first come, first served procedure. Applications can be found on the school's housing webpage.
- Attend your university orientation! Most orientations are held in June and July. Some campuses will have a transfer orientation.
- Submit your final official transcripts to the university you are attending. Deadlines vary!
- Contact the AHC University Transfer Center (UTC) for more information: building A, room 205 or call 1-805-922-6966 ext. 3363