Welcome to the Math Center
The Math Center is a non-credit, Community Education class which provides assistance in mathematics as a completely free service. Current Allan Hancock College students as well as other individuals who are 18 years or older may register for the Math Center each semester and attend as frequently as they want. Registration is for one semester only and may be done online or at Community Education in Building S.
The goal of the Math Center (sometimes called the Mathematics Lab) is to assist students in the successful completion of any Allan Hancock College mathematics class by providing additional instructional resources. The Math Center offers many resources, including one-on-one, drop-in tutoring by our staff of instructors and student tutors. Please see the full list of resources below:
- Free, drop-in tutoring
- A place to study individually or in small groups
- In-house loan of current textbooks and solutions manuals
- A library of supplemental books and videos for check-out
- Computers for mathematical purposes
- Calculators, both in-house loans and semester rentals
- Handouts on math topics, including content from various math courses as well as information on overcoming math anxiety and preparing for and taking math tests
- Two private study rooms
- Make-up testing
The Math Center Tutor Training Program is certified by the College Reading and Learning Association (CRLA). All student tutors participate in this training. CRLA is an international organization which upholds stringent requirements for tutor training and skills aquisition. For more information about CRLA, visit https://www.crla.net/index.php/certifications/ittpc-international-tutor-training-program .
Register to use the Math Center
The Math Center is a free service available to all students, however you must register for the noncredit class BASK-7014 to use the services. Students must register online through the myHancock portal. The CRN for Summer 2019 is 10116. The CRN for Fall 2019 is 20494.
Mary Alice Majoue
Math Center Coordinator
Jaime Astacio Rivera