Become a Tutor
The AHC Tutorial Center is now recruiting tutors for spring 2020! If you are interested in helping other students be successful in classes, consider applying for a tutoring position. We hire tutors in almost every subject offered at AHC, but some of our most requested subjects are math, science, accounting, and English.
AHC peer tutors are chosen for their ability to assist their peers academically and for their strong interpersonal and communication skills. Faculty recommend tutors, and all tutors undergo tutor training offered by the Center. Other qualifications include:
- successful completion of at least one semester at Allan Hancock College
- a cumulative GPA of 3.0
- strong communication and interpersonal skills
- time management and study skills
- a desire to help peers
While hours are flexible, tutors are expected to tutor for a minimum of two (2) hours per week and to commit to a semester-long experience. Tutors will be expected to attend training at the beginning of the semester, communicate with tutees in a timely manner, complete all necessary paperwork, be professional, maintain confidentiality, and adhere to AHC’s policies regarding academic integrity. It is the role of AHC tutors to help their peers become successful, confident, and independent learners.
How to Apply
1) Submit a Tutor Application. We accept applications year round, but we do the majority of our hiring in late spring for the following fall semester.
2) Submit a recommendation from a professor (if you have not already received a recruitment/recommendation email from the Tutorial Center).
a) You may have your professor complete the Tutor Recommendation Form. Potential tutors can submit the recommendation form to the Coordinator in the Academic Resource Center (ARC): email@example.com, 922-6966 ext. 3767.
b) You may have your professor send an email stating that she/he feels you are competent to tutor in the subject. Emails can be sent to the Center at firstname.lastname@example.org
- We accept applications at any time, but since we do most of our hiring for the fall semester in May and early June, please submit your application early.
- Applicants will be called for an interview.
Information for New Tutors
- Applicants who are selected to become tutors must complete a mandatory tutor training offered by the center prior to beginning tutoring.
- New tutors who have never worked on campus must complete the following hiring requirements prior to beginning tutoring:
- Attend an orientation with Human Resources
- Complete an I-9 Form (The I-9 form requires that you present either your U.S. passport or social security card. Please arrange to bring one of these documents on campus with you.)
- Take a TB and fingerprint test.